It is the objective of the AWTA Judging Approval Process to provide participants at AWTA events with judges who are well versed in conducting den trials and other sanctioned events and are experienced in hunting with working terriers and dachshunds and who can apply that experience in evaluating dogs entered under them. Judges will be able to act as a field representative of the AWTA at events and to serve as a mentor and liaison with the Event Chair and Secretary.
- At least five years of verifiable experience in hunting with working terriers and/or Dachshunds in the field against natural quarry.
- The attainment of a Working Certificate issued by the AWTA to a dog owned and handled by the Applicant.
- The applicant must have been a member of the AWTA for at least two consecutive years.
- The applicant must have recommendations from two AWTA members in good standing, who are not residents of the same household.
- Possess the physical ability to carry out a judging assignment.
- Serve as an Apprentice Judge in two AWTA events with two different approved judges who have held that status for at least three years and obtain a favorable report from these judges on the Apprentice Judge’s performance. The Trustees may, at their discretion, approve an applicant who has served as an Apprentice only once.
In addition, the Applicant should have at least two of the following additional qualifications:
- Serve as an Event Chair or Event Secretary at an AWTA event or demonstrate by other means an in-depth knowledge of event administration, record keeping and reporting.
- Judging approval from another organization recognized by AWTA that sponsors similar events.
- The applicant must have significant experience as a handler at working terrier/Dachshund events, verifiable through titles and/or certificates earned. Documented experience with the working characteristics of multiple breeds of dogs eligible to compete at AWTA events. Such experience need not include ownership of those breeds.
- Participate in an interview with a Trustee or other person designated by the Trustees regarding the Applicant’s knowledge of AWTA Rules.
A unanimous vote of the Trustees is required for final approval. Thereafter the Applicant will be notified of such acceptance and their name along with their contact information will be added to the list of judges that is published in Down To Earth.